[Sunbeam Talbot Email List] Primary (clutch ) Shaft seal

Malcom Clark shadow74 at bigpond.com
Thu Jul 20 06:27:12 EDT 2017

Hi Thomas the Manual is correct, you cannot extract the front input shaft
without dropping the Lay shaft, the  lay shaft gears get in the way of the
input shaft gears, and the bearing housing will not allow the input shaft to
move up missing the lay shaft,

 Now more important, are you sure the is a seal there, as some do not have a
seal and rely on a scrolling to stop the oil coming out of the shaft, (it
doesn't work too well) not sure when they introduce a front seal,

 A lot of early cars didn't have a front gearbox seal, usually found out
when parked nose first down a steep incline