[Sunbeam Talbot Email List] To Catch a Thief

SEAN AND TRICIA JOHNSON healey at communitynet.org
Thu Mar 19 10:19:52 EDT 2015

It's completely consistent for the "wearing" surfaces to be in hide and the parts that wouldn't come into contact with you to be in vinyl.  Most English cars were trimmed that way.  it simply would have been prohibitively expensive to trim all of the surfaces in hide.   Austin Healeys prior to 1964 had only the front seats and center armrest in hide.  Only the portions of the seats that came in contact with you were hide.  The seat back and bolsters were panel weight vinyl  (leathercloth or vinyde were two of the trade names)  the rear seats on four seat Austin Healey's were completely vinyl.  In 1964 all of the surfaces of the interior were trimmed in Vinyl (Ambla) unless you ordered leather and leather was only an option for the home market or Europe.

Jaguar XK's were similarly trimmed.  Leather on the wearing surfaces and vinyl and moquette on everything else…

I remember my father's 90 Mk2A  DHC had leather on the front and rear seats but all of the rest was vinyl…   (LHD export)

the only British car that I have come across with a complete interior trimmed in hide was a 1965 Aston Martin DB5 that I restored about 15 years ago.  I would have expected no less from a completely handmade car that expensive

Sean Johnson   USA