[Sunbeam Talbot Email List] 1954 Sunbeam Alpine MKI Wheels

richarddonn at tiscali.co.uk richarddonn at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Mar 3 14:38:27 EST 2015

I had tubed radial tyres on my 1953 ST90 MK2a Coupe, when I had these
replaced the fitters used a slightly oversize tube. This was not
apparent for many months when one tyre went down overnight and it
transpired that the tube had creased and eventually developed a pin
prick sized leak where wear took place. I then had the inner tubes
removed and tubeless valves fitted and have not had a problem since. So
the original wheels will take tubeless tyres with out a problem.

Richard

<im1neng at gmail.com>
>Cc: "Staowners"<staowners at sunbeamtalbot.info>

>Subj: Re: [Sunbeam Talbot Email List] 1954 Sunbeam Alpine MKI Wheels
>

>Diamondback tires <http://www.dbtires.com/2013_catalog/hi/22.htm> has
promised to offer a nice tire as part of their Auburn collection
(actually patterned after a Firestone model from the 50’s). So far, its
just a promise as far as I can see.  I suspect it will not be far from
the Coker price.

Staowners [mailto:staowners-bounces at sunbeamtalbot.info] On Behalf Of
starcars8 at comcast.net
>Sent: Tuesday, March 3, 2015 12:23 PM
>To: J W

>Cc: Staowners
>Subject: Re: [Sunbeam Talbot Email List] 1954 Sunbeam
Alpine MKI Wheels

>You are correct in that there is only one
wheel. The difference in tubed/tubeless is the tyre design. Generally
speaking tubeless tyres are of radial construction and tubed tyres are
cross/bias ply. Coker Tire currently offer a 550R16 whitewall tyre that
requires a radial compatible tube. Greatly improves ride and handling
for a healthy price. You can check them at www.cokertire.com  Pete

>  _____

AM
>Subject: [Sunbeam Talbot Email List] 1954 Sunbeam Alpine MKI Wheels

>Question:  Are there 2 different Alpine MKI wheel designs?  I
have heard rumors that there are 2 different wheels, one that needs a
tube, the other tubeless.  I was under the impression that production
changed from tubed to tubeless, but no changes were actually made to
the wheels.  Is my recollection of previous discussions correct?

>Wanted:  I am in need of 2 wheels to  support my 1954 Alpine MKI
project.  I am located in Michigan, USA.  Anyone have 2 decent wheels
available?  Yes, I know shipping will be outrageous!