[Sunbeam Talbot Email List] pre 1960 Cars to be exempt from MOT ?

Mal Clark shadow74 at bigpond.com
Sun Nov 13 07:53:18 EST 2011

Hi Bill and Members, we here in Victoria Australia,do not have yearly Road
Worthy Certificate ( RWC)  (MOT) Although other States in Aus do, A RWC is
required for the sale of a vehicle, I was an  Roadworthy Inspector years
ago,
 The requirement then was a basic check Suspension, Brakes,Lights,
Tyre's,etc.which you gave consideration for classic, or older cars in
regards brakes ,oil leaks etc. Today the regs are the same for a 1 year old
car as a 50 year car, no consideration at all, when they say no oil
leaks,that means no oil leaks,try to convince the tester, that some cars do
leak. (even RR advise not to park front facing up hill,as oil can leak from
the back of the motor), It annoys me so much that many cars are subject to
many hundreds of dollars to get a rwc, ( I had a case not long ago from a
garage wanting things like Fuel Pump kit, sump and side plate gaskets, and
gearbox and overdrive gaskets for a Talbot Alpine). I  suggested they were
doing the RWC. and they  said yes, I told them they are wasting time and
alot of money trying to stop the slight leaks it had from those areas, but
they wouldn't budge "Its Regulations"
   In the last few month's they have gone another step in making it
harder,to get a certificate, photo's now have to taking during the test,to
prove thats the vehicle, being tested,  price has risen to $200 for the
test, I guess it may stop people giving certifcates down the pub.
  Anyway I agree, the  UK proposal be adopted..Good Luck,  your side Bill.
Mal Clark.