[Sunbeam Talbot Email List] Gas Tank Question

CotaLymepond at aol.com CotaLymepond at aol.com
Fri Nov 4 09:50:31 EDT 2011

I know that it's a bit late for this suggestion, but for those facing this
problem in the future, the easiest way to push out a dent in a fuel tank is
to  seal all the openings and apply air pressure. I have repaired several
tanks this  way and while it won't always take all the creases out, It will
usually  straighten out the bottom without having to do anything more
drastic. I usually  just hold the air nozzle between my fingers and seal the filler
opening with the  palm of my hand & put the air to it. (it takes
surprisingly little pressure  to pop a dent out)
You can get most of the creases out by hammering on the crease while an
assistant holds the pressure in the tank, the air will try to stretch the
metal  flat and the hammer will shock things into place.
<>Steve Cota<>

In a message dated 11/3/2011 1:34:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,