[Sunbeam Talbot Email List] Gas Tank Question

Jerry Sears jb1949ers at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 23:58:47 EDT 2011

Hi Ed,
I used a product called Kreem.
This can be found a www.kreem.com
It was mainly used for motor cycle gas tank coating.
I bought a truck that did not run due to rust and shellac in the tank and
filters.
I heard of Kreem coating from a Harley Davidson owner.
I supplemented the product with other cleaning products.
I bought:
1 gallon of Muriatic Acid
1 gallon of Methyl Ethyl Ketone
1 gallon of Acetone

The gas tank must be removed from the vehicle, as well as, the sending unit
and all hoses.
You must be able to seal all the opening to contain the various liquids
used in the process.

Kreem coating uses Methyl Ethyl Ketone in the product.

I did some research on what was in the product "Kit," and decided I would
get more "Bang for the Buck," in buying the Muriatic Acid, Methyl Ethyl
Ketone, and Acetone separately.
Instead of buying the "Kit," I just bought the Sealer part of the kit.
I don't know how I got away with using the motor cycle tank kit, on a 15
gallon fuel tank.
I did not know it came in larger size kits, besides, I was broke from
buying the truck.

IT IS IMPORTANT TO USE ALL THE SAFETY EQUIPMENT IN THIS "OUT IN THE YARD"
PROCESS: GOGGLES AND FACE SHIELD, CHEMICAL TYPE GLOVES, SPLASH APRON, A
CHEMICAL MASK ( OR A FAN TO BLOW THE FUMES AWAY FROM YOU, ETC.

Every thing needs to be in place, as once the process starts, it does not
stop until the process is finished.
So one must be prepared to start with all opening sealed except one that
can be opened and resealed each time there is a new step in the process.
A garden hose must be handy with a "shut off " at the operating end.

The process starts with using Acetone to cut the Shellac build up by
turning the sealed tank in all directions several times. Repeat the process
if necessary.
Once the tank is emptied and inspected to make sure there is no Shellac
remaining, then it is left to evaporate dry.
NOW THE NON-STOP PART: Use the Muriatic Acid (tank turned in every
direction) to let the Acid dissolve the rust down to grey metal. Dump the
acid out and flush the tank with water to neutralize the acid, and inspect.
Repeat process if necessary. One must hurry or the raw metal will "Flash
Over" with a fine rust haze, so be prepared with the Methyl Ethyl Ketone.
If it is clean, then dump a few cups of Methyl Ethyl Ketone (rotating in
all directions) in the tank to absorb the water, dump the excess and repeat
the process.
It is not necessary to have all the Methyl Ethyl Ketone removed from the
tank since the Sealer has this ingredient already in it, so it will mix in
with the sealer.
Rotate the fuel tank all around over an over again to thoroughly coat the
inside, because, I heard that if there is one spot not covered, then parts
of the sealant may peal off inside the tank and clog the filter and make a
general mess of things.
The non-running truck had 68K miles back then, now it has 224K miles on it
and no fuel problem.

This information is from years ago memory, so it is only for your
consideration, before you do the research on the Kreem product.
Best of Luck to you Ed.
Jerry Sears : Jb1949ers at gmail.com