[Sunbeam Talbot Email List] Gas Tank Question

ROBIN AND BEATRICE DUBOW robindubow at bigpond.com
Thu Nov 3 21:34:01 EDT 2011

Hello Ed,

I have had not had the problem with my Talbot 90, but have restored an old Humber and a Daimler with tank problems.

What I did is remove the tank, remove the tank unit, take it to a radiator cleaner place to be flushed out, then cut several large inspection holes in the top of the tank using an angle grinder so I could access all parts of the interior. I kept the bits I cut out and had new steel plates made at a sheet metal place, but 30mm larger in all dimensions. I then used a wire bush on my angle grinder and a handheld wire brush to clean all parts of the interior.

I then cleaned and lined the interior using a proprietary liner but was able to brush on the entire interior surface after blocking the outlet with a paper wad, instead of having to rely on rotating the tank. After waiting the required time for it to dry, I replaced the cut-out plates with the new ones (also treated) by screwing the new plates back on using self-tappers, cork gasket material and suitable gasket goo. This should make it easy to clean in the future if I live that long. It should also make it easy to bang out any dents.

After refitting, I installed an after-market disposable filter in the fuel line, just to be sure. Since the new inspection holes are in the top, leaking is not a problem

Robin and Beatrice Dubow

32 Beddome Street

Sandy Bay - HOBART

Tasmania 7005