[Sunbeam Talbot Email List] Gas Tank Question

raymead at comcast.net raymead at comcast.net
Thu Nov 3 17:39:26 EDT 2011

Hello Ed,

Sometimes it helps to really just simplify a problem - with that thought in mind it is safe to say that "gas" and "rust" just don't mix.........  you have to get the rust out.   The question is, how do you do that.

Personally, I'm not all that keen on Martin's thought of using the fuel/fuel filter to clean the rust out.  He obviously had great luck with his, but the worry would have to be that some rusted areas will break off sometime in the future - almost guaranteed to be at the most inconvenient time - and cause a break down.   After all the work you are going thru, why have that hanging over your head - there are already enough other potential breakdown problems with our old cars - ha, ha,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Anyway, I faced this very problem with my E-type, and after a lot of investigation I decided that the choices were either to (a) have the tank cleaned, or (b) cut off the bottom, have it cleaned out and replace the bottom.  Luckily, just having the tank cleaned worked in my case.

I think you have to bit the bullet and go with one of these two choices as more of a "permanent" fix.

Good luck,

Ray