[Sunbeam Talbot Email List] Tires and Tyres

Martin Spurrell spurrellm at hotmail.co.uk
Tue Jul 26 09:44:52 EDT 2011

hi all,
        it is the law in great britain that all tyres fitted to london taxi's (black cab) have the word taxi moulded on to the sidewall. this is a sign that the tyre fitted to that cab is of a design that is virtually indestructible. of course taxi tyres are not speed rated to 130 mph but nor is a london taxi and lets be fair,neither is a sunbeam talbot. that said, because of the nature of the work expected of a taxi tyre you can rest assured they are rugged and reliable enough for our purpose.
    i always fit an old fasioned cross ply tyre in the spare wheel compartment, never needed it but it can't be any worse than one of those modern 'space savers' plus you don't need a stick of dynamite to remove it in an emergency.
                                                              martin spurrell.