[Sunbeam Talbot Email List] Tires and Tyres

Derek Cook alpine at sunbeam.myzen.co.uk
Tue Jul 26 06:47:09 EDT 2011

Hi Don,

On the subject of tires I've not heard of anyone fitting the types of tyres you suggest here in the UK. I do know that tyres that are 185 in width have been known to rub at the back and reduce the turning circle at the front.

Also remember that the original rims are 4½J and that as far as I can remember, 195 tires need a rim of 5½J.

Sorry to be negative but there will be lots of other knock on effects from fitting the wider tire; not least the heavy steering that will result, particularly when parking.

There are however some good tires out there.

I would recommend the following radial blackwalls:

AVON

TURBOSTEEL

SIZE: 165HR16/550R16

LOAD INDEX: 88H

OVERALL DIAMETER MM: 677

SECTION WIDTH MM: 165

MAX SPEED: 130 mph/210 kph

LOAD KG/PSI: 560 at 36

MICHELIN

SIZE: 5.50R16

LOAD INDEX: 84H

OVERALL DIAMETER MM: 690

SECTION WIDTH MM: 172

MAX SPEED: 130 mph/210 kph

MAX LOAD KG: 500

I have the Avon's on my Alpine now and they really are excellent. Over the years I have tried just about everything and these tyres are the best by a mile. The Michelin's are equally as good.

Hope this helps.

Derek Cook